Write a Good CV
Is a CV a necessary requirement to secure a job in Ghana?
In Ghana, CVs are required for almost all jobs advertised.
Why do employers require CVs?
CVs serve as a reference document for the employer to assess the suitability or otherwise of the applicant for the job.
It also helps to guide the employer to match the status of the applicant to the requirements of the job.
What are the requirements for a standard CV?
The standard requirement of a CV for all job requirements must include the following:
- Personal and contact information
- Education and qualifications
- Work history and/or experience
- Relevant skills for the job in question
- Own interests
- Achievements or hobbies
- Some references
What are the critical elements of the job that must be captured in the CV?
- The applicant must clearly understand the job description.
- The CV must be tailored to match the role of the incumbent job.
- A new CV must be designed for all new jobs that are applied for - there is no generic CV.
How should you frame the skills section of your CV?
Under the skills section, you should mention key skills that can help you stand out from the rest. These could include communication skills, computer skills, team working, problem solving or even speaking a foreign language. Skills may also include what you have done to grow your own skills.
How do you approach the experience aspect of your CV?
- Use assertive and positive language under the work history and experience sections, such as "developed", "organised" or "achieved".
- Relate the skills you have learned to the job role you are applying for.
- Mention the valuable skills and experience you have gained from past work positions, even if it was just working in a restaurant – every little thing helps.
How do you capture the Interest section of the CV?
Under interests, you need to highlight the things that show off skills you have gained and that employers look for. Describe any examples of positions of responsibility, working in a team or anything that shows you can use your own initiative. For example, if you are the editor of your organisation’s magazine, or a coach of a sports team, mention this.
Include anything that shows how diverse, interested and skilled you are. Don't include passive interests like watching TV. Make yourself sound really interesting.
How is the Reference part designed?
References should be from someone who has employed you in the past and can vouch for your skills and experience. If you have never worked before you can use a teacher or tutor as a referee. Try to include two if you can.
How often should a CV be written?
It is crucial to review your CV on a regular basis and add any new skills or experience that's missing. Potential employers are always impressed with candidates who go the extra mile to boost their own skills and experience.
Take our Salary Survey and learn about wages in Ghana.